Kitchen Makeover: How To Retain The Character Of Your Old Kitchen
What’s the greatest thing about our kitchens? The memories. Who doesn’t remember playing on the kitchen floor as a child, delighting in your mum’s cooking – or even your dad’s surprise birthday cakes? But there is a dark side to this picture-perfect memory. When you renovate your kitchen, you have to give those memories up too.
What To Consider When Updating Your Kitchen
Are you considering giving your kitchen a makeover? If so, you’re not alone. Many homeowners decide to update their kitchens at some point, whether it’s to add value to their home or simply to create a more modern and functional space. But before you start tearing out cabinets and selecting new countertops, there are a few things you should consider that will help you retain the character of your old kitchen.
One of the most important things to consider is the layout of your kitchen. If you’re happy with the current layout, there’s no need to change it. But if you’re not satisfied with the way your kitchen is laid out, now is the time to make some changes. This is especially true if your kitchen is small or cramped. By rearranging the layout, you can create a more open and inviting space.
Another thing to consider is the finishes in your kitchen. If you have original wood floors or cabinets, you may want to keep them. These features can add a lot of character to your kitchen. But if they’re worn or outdated, new finishes can give your kitchen a fresh look.
Finally, think about how you use your kitchen and what type of atmosphere you want to create.
Basic Rules for Designing the Layout of Your New Kitchen
When you’re planning a kitchen makeover, one of the first things you’ll need to do is decide on the layout. The layout of your kitchen will determine how easy it is to move around and how well the different areas work together.
There are a few basic rules that you should follow when designing the layout of your new kitchen:
1. Keep the sink close to the stove. This will make it easier to transfer pots and pans from the stovetop to the sink.
2. Put the fridge near the door. This will make it easy to grab items from the fridge when you’re coming in and out of the kitchen.
3. Keep counter space near the stove and sink. This will give you plenty of room to prep food and wash dishes.
4. Make sure there’s plenty of storage. You’ll need enough cabinets and shelves to store all of your pots, pans, dishes, and food items.
5. Think about traffic flow. You should be able to move easily from one area of the kitchen to another without having to walk around obstacles or through crowded areas.
How to Make The Most of Small Spaces
When it comes to kitchen makeovers, one of the best ways to retain the character of your old kitchen is to make the most of small spaces. This can be done in a number of ways, but some of the most effective methods include:
1. Adding shelves: Extra shelves can provide much-needed storage space in a small kitchen. They also allow you to display items that would otherwise be hidden away in cabinets.
2. Hanging pots and pans: Another great way to save space in a small kitchen is to hang pots and pans from a pot rack or ceiling-mounted hooks. This frees up valuable cabinet space and looks great, too!
3. Getting creative with storage: There are many creative storage solutions available for small kitchens. These include corner shelves, under-cabinet hanging baskets, and more. By thinking outside the box, you can come up with storage solutions that work perfectly for your small kitchen.
By following these tips, you can make the most of small spaces and retain the character of your old kitchen at the same time!
Inspiration For Redesigning an Old Kitchen
If you’re considering giving your kitchen a makeover, but are worried about losing the character of your old kitchen, never fear! There are plenty of ways to retain the character of your kitchen while still giving it a fresh new look. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
1. Keep your existing cabinetry and give it a new coat of paint or stain. This will instantly brighten up the space and give it a fresh new look.
2. Don’t replace your old appliances if they’re still in good working condition. Instead, give them a good cleaning and maybe even a new coat of paint to match your updated cabinets.
3. Add some new hardware to your cabinets and drawers. This is an easy and inexpensive way to change the look of your kitchen without having to do any major renovations.
4. Update your countertops, backsplash, and flooring. These are all easy ways to give your kitchen an updated look without gutting the entire space.
5. Finally, add some personal touches with new kitchen towels, rugs, curtains, and other accessories. These finishing touches will really make your kitchen feel like home.
Call AMD Remodeling!
Whether your remodeling project encompasses a total tear-down and rebuild or just a change of cabinetry, countertops, and major appliances, the team of kitchen remodeling experts at AMD Remodeling can help you transform your dream kitchen space into a reality. We will walk you through the kitchen remodel process, take your ideas and give them shape, and present you with options that you may have never considered. We are familiar with all the newest trends in kitchen designs, know the latest options in green materials, and are up to date with new products for the kitchen.
We work with customers across Dallas, Richardson, Plano, Addison, Carrollton, Allen, Frisco, Murphy, and Wylie, TX. Get started on your dream design and remodeling project by calling 469-547-5887 to schedule your free consultation!
We hope this guide has given you some inspiration and helpful tips on how to retain the character of your old kitchen during a makeover. Whether you decide to keep your old cabinets and paint them or replace them with new ones, we think as long as you focus on retaining the original character of your kitchen, you’ll be sure to love the results. Thanks for reading!